Today, I did the assignment I gave my Seniors. We are reading Anthem by Ayn Rand, and I'm trying to get them thinking about the importance of the individual in society. Anyway, after our class discussion today, I had them write an acrostic poem for the word INDIVIDUAL. And, during our writer's notebook time (I give them 5-10 minutes at the end of class to write about whatever they want) I wrote my own:
Inside of me I hear
Noises trying to get out
Divine tones that make me an
Visualizing the future
Ignoring what I don't want to be
Deciding who I want to become
Urgently working to stay me
Always and forever
Loving who I am
Which leads right into what I'm supposed to blog about today. My sister-in-law has tagged me. I am supposed to list 6 things about myself that you may or may not know. So, here are some things that make me...ME.
1) I love to read. I love it! I love it! I love it! This is probably why it's so heartbreaking to me that so many of my students despise it. My addiction to books is really the fault of my mother, who read to me constantly as a child, and who I never saw without a good book herself. I am a bookworm and proud of it!
2) I can't go through a day without having chocolate. This is really sad, I know, and something I may have to come to terms with once my metabolism goes out. But I seriously don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't eat SOMETHING that is, or has in it, the flavor of the gods. When I lived in London this is also how I gained a gazillion pounds. If you've never tried European chocolate...you don't know what you're missing!
3) I don't really know how to say this without making me sound schizophrenic...but sometimes I hear narration in my head. OK, so that REALLY makes me sound psycho. I don't really know how to explain it. I don't mean that I go around hearing voices, because it's my voice doing the talking, but sometimes, I'll just be walking around and I'll be composing writing in my head. I might be driving in my car, listening to Christmas music, and running the air conditioning, and I'll think what a funny scene that would make in a story, and the next thing you know I've written a paragraph in my head. Weird. I know. BUT, if I can ever get myself to compose some of these thoughts on paper, I just MIGHT get around to writing the novel I'm always telling myself I'm going to write.
4) I have almost an unhealthy emotional connection to people. It is really easy for me to feel empathy for people, but that also means that I am constantly apologizing for things that aren't even my fault. I am a blue personality THROUGH and THROUGH and therefore want everyone to be happy and feel it is my responsibility if they don't. Sometimes it can be tragic.
5) I am a perfectionist in every sense of the word. Which means, I'm a little bit OCD about having things go the way I envision them.
6) I love to sing and be on stage, and I miss it SO much. I was very involved in theatre in high school, and am just starting to realize how sad I am that I gave it up. The thing about BYU, is there are so many mega-talented people, that averagely talented people (like moi) figure it's better to sit on the sidelines and let the mega-talented (those who are so good they can make their talent their career) take center stage. And so, I think I would now be PETRIFIED to sing a solo anywhere, even though there was a time that I did so frequently without a second thought.
So there you go. That is me, or at least 6 things about me, because I sure hope that I'm more complex than a list of 6 things.
I now tag...anyone who feels up to the challenge...but don't feel obligated! Scully? Kristy? Esperanza? (Maybe it will finally make you write a blog, because I keep hoping for a new post!) Panini? Curly? (Haven't heard from you in awhile either.) Any takers???