Thursday, July 05, 2012

4th of July Miracles

We almost didn't go watch the fireworks on the 4th of July.  Almost.

It was over 100 degrees yesterday and nothing about sitting in the heat with a squirmy toddler (at way past his bedtime) sounded appealing.  Then, it started pouring buckets around five o'clock and nothing about sitting in wet grass from seven to nine with a squirmy toddler (still at way past his bedtime) sounded fun.

Only it stopped raining, and the sun came out, and we remembered that the North Carolina symphony was giving a free concert.  A few diapers were tossed into the diaper bag, and we rushed out the door in a very uncharacteristically spontaneous fashion.  I'm so glad we decided to go.  I don't have a single picture of the blessed event, but I want to remember it forever, because it was such a simple, happy evening.

Someday Kaden won't be a blond-headed toddler anymore.  Someday he won't live with me, because he will have a family of his own.  Here are the things I want to remember about yesterday when I am old and gray and missing my baby Kaden who is all grown up:

--We paid $5 to park and we parked in the parking lot that was the furthest away, so it would be easy to get out after the festivities.

--We pushed Kaden Fox and his stuffed fox in the jogging stroller to the park, and on the way we saw four deer jump across a stream.

--Even though it was still humid, the rain had cooled everything down to low 80s, and we even enjoyed a slight breeze.  

--Kaden threw sticks into the lake while we waited for the fireworks to start.  Some other kids let him help them feed the ducks.  Chad and I took turns taking Kaden on lots of walks to help him get his wiggles out before the fireworks started.

--The NC Symphony serenaded us with patriotic music.

--Kaden ate vanilla wafers in my lap while we watched the sunset.  He pointed out all of the colors he saw in the sky, while cookie crumbs spewed from the corners of his little mouth onto my arms and thighs.

--Kaden was scared of the fireworks at first, but then he warmed right up to them, clapping and smiling after each big boom!

--While we lay on our green army blanket and watched the fireworks, Chad whispered in my ear, "I really like our little family," and I whispered back, "Me, too."

--On the way back to the car, they were giving out free Chick-Fil-A sandwiches (the ones they hadn't sold during the concert), and I totally scored one for each of us.

--Even though there was a swarm of mosquitoes above us from the moment the sun went down, I made it through the evening without acquiring a SINGLE bite.  And we had no bug spray.  This is a 4th of July miracle, considering all mosquitoes adore my blood, but Southern ones seem to crave it with a vengeance.  

--Kaden woke up this morning talking about fireworks and how they go, "BOOM!"  He has been talking about them on and off all day.  It makes me so happy that he remembered the outing.

Happy birthday, America!  Yay for happy family memories!

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to worry. They will not be growing up and leaving us. I have already forbid it. There will be no little boys getting bigger and too old to kiss their moms and give them snuggles. And there will definitely be no leaving. Ever. I hope.

    Excuse me... I have some babies to kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and special night. I love that Kaden has a stuffed fox. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...