Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"Our State Fair is a Great State Fair . . . Don't Miss it! Don't Even be Late!"

We are in the process of cleaning, staining, and sealing our very weathered deck and fence.  It's a job. (They don't call it sweat equity for nothing.)  Chad spent two straight days just pressure washing the joker. We'd scheduled some much needed help from my in laws a couple of weeks ago.  Bruce was going to come help us start the staining, and Joy was going to help keep kiddos entertained and out of the way, so we could get some serious work done.  Except the forecast turned ugly on the day they were supposed to come.  So, being the generous, loving people they are, they offered to come the following weekend instead. There was just one problem . . . Kaden had already been told he was going to see Gigi and Poppy.  Enter massive tears and sad voice on the telephone.  Gigi and Poppy came anyway and treated us to the state fair instead.  

I grew up going to the Grant County Fair.  We have a killer good county fair.  Like amazing.  And I don't think I'm just saying that because I'm from there.  It really is pretty stellar.  And since I'm from a small town, it's pretty much the event of the year.  In elementary school I was a 4-H kid for a few years. I donned red cowboy boots, raised sheep, and showed them at that fair.  My siblings and I used to enter anything and everything we could come up with in the fair (artwork, cookies, flowers and vegetables we picked from my grandmother's garden--Bryan once won a grand champion ribbon for one of her flowers!  Too bad he didn't grow the darn thing!) and then collect the ribbons and prize money.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love a good fair.

Probably what I love best about fairs is the food.  You know the kind I'm talking about--most of it straight lard battered and deep fried to perfection.  

In this regard the North Carolina State Fair did not disappoint.




In a few hours we managed to share the following caloric feast between the four of us, five if you count Kaden:

--Philly cheese steak 
--2 turkey legs
--Popcorn
--Deep fried Snickers bar (I became a fan.  Just saying.)
--Elephant ear (half powdered sugar and half cinnamon and sugar topping)
--Hot dog
--Massive bag of kettle corn

Everett is finally starting to like the double stroller, now that he's a little bit bigger.  He was a dream the entire time.  Kaden was super good, too, especially considering he hadn't napped that day.


 Kaden LOVES his Poppy!

 

Everett, napping in his favorite spot:  The ERGO


 There were soooooooooooooo may people.  Although, I was a bit disappointed . . . too many normal folk. 



We didn't go on any rides, and amazingly, Kaden didn't even ask about riding any.  We never seemed to be near any kiddie rides, so maybe he just assumed they were for big people.  I don't know.  We went to story time at the library a few days later and it was a fair theme.  The librarian read a book about a roller coaster and had the kids pretend to be riding it.  After that he started asking why we didn't go on any rides.  Ha!  I guess next year we won't get off so easily.  



Kaden was in awe!  So many sights and sounds!

 We had a great time!  Chad vows we will never go back, but I've got fair blood running through my veins.  I think there may be more corn dogs and deep friend candy bars in my future.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same with fairs!!! I love them. It's ridiculous how much I love them. :)
    Bo has sworn not to go back to our state fair either, even though he's a 4-H kid too! I think it is the crowds that gets him. I can't blame him.
    Glad you ate all that food. YUM. Although I didn't see cotton candy on that list! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...