Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Way to Ruin the Moment, Folks

So. One of the teachers in my department came up with this really cool opportunity for students. The juniors are reading Night for world literature. He decided to use his legislative money to bring in a guest speaker, who is an ACTUAL survivor of the Holocaust who lives in the area. SO AWESOME! (Think heart felt Freedom Writers moment minus the gang violence.) She was going to come and speak about her experiences, and give students the chance to ask questions, etc.

I say she WAS going to come, because she is no longer coming. Why? Well, you're probably thinking, like me, that the poor woman has a health issue. Perhaps a family emergency. I mean, she's old. Something obviously came up that is keeping her from speaking to the lovely high school students who have been looking forward to her appearance.

NOPE. None of those are it. See, the reason she's not coming, apparently, is because the district decided it's, "just not ok to use legislative money to pay for a guest speaker." Are you kidding me? Is this for real? Is there a camera near by? Where's Ashton Kutcher, because surely I'm being punked. I must be, because there's just no way that people who claim to have the best interests of students at heart would ever say something so preposterous. What's "not ok" about giving students a genuine learning experience???!??!!

So, the guest speaker is no longer coming. There are a lot of disappointed students. The funny thing is, my classes weren't even going. I don't teach juniors. This doesn't impact me in the slightest. BUT I'M STILL INFURIATED!

I love being a teacher, I really do. It's just that sometimes, things like this happen, and the bureaucracy just eats me inside. I hate it.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. We have money down here for the FBLA club to bus up to Cabella's, but not enough money for my English classes to go see a Shakespheare play up at the U. Why do they persist in NOT letting us inspire our students?

    That stinks about the guest speaker thing, would have be tempting to sneak in and listen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...