Sunday, September 21, 2008

2 Posts that Have Been a Long Time Coming . . .

Ok. I've been meaning to blog. Most of you have probably thought I've died, that I've been buried 6 feet under, and are feeling sorry you didn't have the chance to say goodbye. I do apologize. But, shed no tears -- I am alive and well! I've just been slacking in the blogging department. So, without further ado, here are two tales I've been waiting to spin for you:

In Case We Needed a Reminder of Why I Hate Walmart & Refer to it as Satan's Five and Ten:

So. A few days ago, I decided to run by WalMart on my way home from school. I was behind on my grading, and decided to pick up a pocket calculator that I could take between school and home. I've been using the calculator on my computer at work to calculate percentages, but thought it might be easier to have a small calculator to use instead. Anyhow, I get to Walmart. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a quick, run-in, grab what I need, and go kind of trip. I had intentions of getting home and getting all of my grading done before Chad finished work.

I took a quick stroll down the office supply aisle and found a calculator, but it was a little bit bigger than what I wanted, and it was $8.00. I thought it was the only choice at first, but a walk down a second office aisle explained the lack of variety. All of the other calculators were locked in a glass case. OK. When I say ALL, I'm not talking about just the fancy-schmancy graphing kind that you have to buy for high school advanced algebra classes, I'm talking about the DOLLAR pocket-sized calculators. The three dollar ones were locked up as well.

OK. I only needed a calculator to figure out percentages, so I figured the $1.00 calculator was the way to go. I mean, why spend $8.00 on something related to math, the most horrendous subject in the world, when I could spend $1.00 instead.

After asking the first old employee I could track down if they had a key, and finding out that, no, they did not, nor did they have any clue who did, it was time to ask said old lady to use the intercom for me. She did. I heard, "customer assistance needed at the calculator case." I waited. I waited some more. I went in search of another old employee. This time I found a delightful woman who got on the intercom not once, but TWICE for me. "Customer is STILL waiting at the calculator case." By this time another customer had joined me at the calculator case to wait for the key to arrive. Finally, the gem of a lady who used the intercom twice, marched to the front to personally get a key for us.

By this point, my plan for a five minute calculator search had turned in to a thirty minute fume-fest. I hate the fact that I am so impatient, but I am. I was very kind to the woman who helped me, because I realize it is not her fault that the company she works for is in cohorts with Satan.

When I got home, I started grading. I had calculated a total of three percentages when my purple, one-dollar calculator decided it would no longer let me use the number 7. My entire trip had been a complete waste of time. And the thought of driving back to WalMart to attempt returning a $1.00 piece of merchandise just wasn't appealing. My father-in-law found a calculator for me, which made me regret the earlier trip even more.

All in favor of K-town getting a Target?!?!?!?!?!

Some People Aren't Brought Up Right, Or Why I am Thankful My Husband is Cultured:

On Friday night, Chad and I went to ECU to see the North Carolina Symphony. It was his idea, and I'm so glad he had the inspiration to take me. We had a great time. We would have had an even better time, had the idiot behind us stayed at home.

Obnoxious Male Student, LOUDLY, on his phone: "No, I'm at a concert. No, believe me, I'm not here because I want to be! Yea, are you guys going out later? I had to pay 32 bucks to get in to this thing. I'm so pissed."

After his phone call, he then proceeded to make similar commentary to the floozy girl sitting next to him for the remainder of the concert, whilst I squirmed in my chair, trying to fight the urge to turn around and smack him.

The concert was wonderful. We had a great time and are looking forward to going to some similar things at ECU in the future. Most of all, the trip left me feeling grateful that Chad enjoys going to things like that, too, so that I don't have to force him to go unwillingly.

So there you go, two tales from my week. Oh, and on Tuesday we will finally be official homeowners! We are so excited for closing. The owners are going to pay for the minor termite damage that was found in the outdoor shed area, which is also great news!

7 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the Wal-mart situation. We go in and have waited up to 20-30 minutes in the check out lines, because for some unbeknown reason, they don't open up more lanes.

    If I were you, I probably would have turned and smacked that guy...(maybe more verbally, than physically). ;)

    I'm so excited for you to be a homeowner! And for them to pay for that damage so it doesn't come out of your pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed.
    I don't even grace the doors of Walmart.
    I loathe it.
    Even though gas in a gazillion dollars a gallon, I will drive to a neighboring town for a little place full people in red and khaki.
    I am seriously midway through my next post which was all about Target!
    Great minds think alike.

    So happy for you that Chad is cultured. My Chad...not so much.
    He does not enjoy a night at the symphony or theater. Jealous.

    I came here hoping to find a post about the wild child you had to sit beside today. Where did he come from?

    Yay for closing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how Wal-mart is still in business because it seems like everybody hates it. Do the super cheap prices make it a necessary evil occasionally? I avoid the Orem Wal-mart like the plague. I never understood why they have 50 cash registers and only 2 open at any given time.

    Congratulations on the house! I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:28 PM

    Hey I am definately in favor of getting a Target in K-town!!! I have been saying that forever!!! Add me as a blog you visit daily...it is LDS Dancing Queen...the address bar is www.ldsdancingqueen.blogspot.com


    I love ya and you were great keeping all of those roudy kids calm during the primary program(don't you just love Miles' singing) He is just so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to the woes of shopping at WalMart. I loathe that monster store as well. And Amen to culture for the male gender! All about that - my dad introduced me to musicals, dance, ballet, etc. and I tried to pass that "gene" along to my kids - Trent included. And I hope it took. Funny that he mentioned enjoying a dance extravaganza of some sort including hit musicals at some ward activity on his mission this week. Yes!

    Glad you have been resurrected in the blogosphere. And see you on Tuesday at c l o s i n g!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously i HATE walmart and I believe I haven't been to one in about a year. It's totally worth the higher prices to go to Target...sorry you guys haven't upgraded yet!

    Congrats on your house!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm allergic to Wal Mart. Seriously. I feel ill the moment i HAVE to walk through the door, because honestly, I wouldn't be there unless i HAD to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...