Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Death Flu

On Saturday night, Kaden threw up.  Twice.  We were casually reading a bedtime story, a Thomas the Train adventure to be exact, all curled up in the chair in the corner of his bedroom, when he lost the contents of his stomach all over himself, me, and his "soft blankie."  Oh, and the towels that I screamed for Chad to bring.  It was not pleasant, I tell you, not pleasant at all.  He had just had a bath.  His daddy quickly rushed him into another, while I laundered all of the damaged clothing and bedding and shouted praises to the heavens that the new carpet had been spared.

There had been no sign that this nasty episode was approaching.  He was fine all day, as were we.

I went to the store to stock up on Sprite and saltines, figuring it was going to be a long night for Kaden.  He slept through the night without a hint of tummy trouble.

Chad and I didn't fare so well.  We were sick all night.

We spent all day Sunday in bed, in and out of sleep, while Kaden did who knows what all over the house and watched obscene amounts of TV.  He didn't seem to mind too much every time we suggested he watch another show.  Thank goodness for Netflix and unlimited episodes of Dinosaur Train and Thomas the Train movies.

Being sick when you're a parent is so much harder than being sick as a child.  I kind of kept wishing my mom was going to come in and check on me, bring me a glass of cold Sprite, and put her hand on my forehead.  Instead, I kept telling Kaden not to jump on me, whilst I tried to get my shaking fingers to handle the remote control for the digital babysitter.  I kept remembering scenes from the film Contagion, and hoping I wasn't going to meet the fate of Kate Winslet.

We are flu free again and eating solid food--Hooray!  Let the Clorox-ing begin!  In all honesty, I am so thankful Chad and I got the worst of it, since watching Kaden be sick is pretty much the saddest thing ever.

Here's the really traumatizing part of this story:  my in-laws spent all day with us Saturday helping lay our new hardwood flooring.  All day being exposed to germs we didn't know we had while giving up their entire Saturday to HELP us.

Brucious had to call in sick to work on Monday.  Pretty sure he's never done that before.  Like ever.  Tyler also got it bad.  There is nothing worse than being the responsible party for that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. And I completely agree--being sick as a parent is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. my. gosh. This is the worst ever. How do you think you guys got it? I hope everyone is better now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...