Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Things that Make Me Happy

1) Norah Jones mixed with Billie Holiday and John Legend on Pandora radio.
Seriously. I don't think radio gets much better than this. At least not when I've had a long day and all I want to do is curl up in a ball and go to bed at 6:30. There is something about the first week back to school that makes me feel exhausted. (My students are still wonderful, by the way, so I'm not complaining! I'm in love with them all, and I'm excited for this semester. It's just my feet hurt. My voice is tired. My mind can't possible think because it's been going a mile a minute all day. I'm just in that adjustment period, that's all.) Anyhow, if you want the perfect music to listen to while you make dinner, or pitter-patter around the house because you're too lazy to go to the gym, this is it. There is something so soothing about Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and an occasional Jack Johnson song that makes my entire body feel relaxed. I'm in love.

2) ourbestbites.com
This has renewed my joy for cooking. Don't know what to cook? Go to this website and it will give you a million, uncomplicated ideas, that actually look worth eating. And the thing is, they ARE. Every recipe I've tried from this website I've fallen in complete love with. I love the writing on their site, too.

3) "Man, she don't play."
Hearing that this was the reaction to me after my first day of teaching.
Translation? Wow, she means business. Do I hear a hallelujah chorus? Oh, I think I do. I can see growth in myself as a teacher this year already, and I'm proud of myself. I think this is destined to be my best school year yet.

4) The prospect of fall.
OK. So it's still hot as Hades, but it's not AS hot as it was last week. I have visions of colored leaves dancing in my head. I can't wait for the first signs of my favorite season. I want to put on a sweater and curl up with a mug full of hot chocolate. Plus, The Big Read this year at our public library is focused around Edgar Allen Poe's complete short stories and poetry. Which means one thing: A killer Poe unit right before Halloween. How can I NOT be excited by the prospect of THAT?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 AM

    I love Fall as well......and lol at you don't play! Keep those kids straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. upon your reccommendation, i just checked out that recipe website and it rocks! i'm making two of their dishes this week. thanks!

    and i'm glad you have such great kids and that you "don't play." all those people at byu would be so proud...especially that old mean lady... nielson, was it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now salivating all over that website, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the new cooking website! I love to cook, but am getting tired of the same old stuff! Love your list...hope you have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billie Holiday??? Katie girl! I am impressed!!! We (my sisters and I that is) LOVE, lOVE, LOVE her!!!!!!!!! I love that your students get it early on in the year too!!! hahaha! Love you and thanks for your sweet comment on my gestapo mom post! You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the teaching moment!!! I totally get it! What are you teaching this year / what grades?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I'm pretty sure I have your EXACT Pandora station...I call it "Jazzarama" and it does make me so happy...couldn't agree with you more! I would also recommend my "Folksy Pop" station. I'm sure you are a great teacher! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...