Thursday, July 08, 2010

Unless They Mean A Faint Glisten of Sweat . . .

I don't think I have the pregnancy glow.  I feel like this chica:


Chad mentioned the other day how women always tell pregnant women that, "You're absolutely glowing!"  I informed him this is probably because they remember how awful it feels and want to cheer us up. 

Honestly, I have felt great throughout pregnancy.  I have been so healthy, and I know I have nothing to complain about, but I am DONE with the huge belly.  I just feel so HUGE, and I know I'm going to get even more huge before it's all said and done.  I am DONE with the 4 shirts that actually fit me.  I miss my clothes, and every time I walk into my closet I wonder if I'll ever fit into my old friends again. 

I am also done with the heat.  As if humidity is not bad enough normally, we have had a record breaking summer heat wave.  June was miserable, which means July and August are going to be awful.  I am running a good 10-15 degrees hotter than normal, which isn't helping. 

I carry a hand fan with me everywhere for moments of desperation.

Occasionally, around the house, I carry a spray bottle full of cold water for the same purpose.

I think I've mentioned before that our air-conditioning unit has been on the fritz this summer.  Sometimes it works fine.  Then, all of a sudden, the fan will refuse to work, and no cold air will blow.  Those are moments when I panic.  Sometimes, the fan will magically kick back on.  Those are moments when I rejoice.  Other times, it doesn't.  Those are moments when I don't.  As soon as the heating and air man calls me back we will be dropping some serious dough to replace it.  This is depressing, but kind of a necessity when you live in the south.

A few times, we have slept at my in-law's house at night because it is just too hot to deal with ours.  Last night was one of those nights.  When we do sleep at home, I sleep with my head at the foot of the bed (because it is closer to the ceiling fan, lol).  I showed Lauren once how we sleep at night and it made her laugh so hard when she saw the arrangement of pillows.  I have to have two pillows for my head, an L-shaped pillow between my legs, and two pillows elevating my feet (oh, how my little footsies have started to swell).  Combine this with the fact that I sleep at the opposite end of the bed from Chad, and it is pretty comical.  It would also be pretty comical watching me squirm out of the pillow arrangement multiple times during the night for potty trips, and trying to get comfortable again so I can fall back asleep, only to wake up as soon as I've fallen asleep for another trip to the bathroom.   

I guess it's a good thing I'm starting to feel so uncomfortable.  Maybe this way I won't care how much labor hurts, I'll just want the baby OUT. 

6 comments:

  1. You have discovered the true secret. The only way women would be cool with shoving 8 pounds of baby out their you know where is if they were in the most uncomfortable, miserable situation ever. ANYTHING sounds better than keeping that baby inside right? :)

    What you really need is one of those fans that has the spray bottle attached. I am starting to think those might have been invented by a pregnant woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last two months of pregnancy are designed for exactly what you said--to make you ready to do whatever it takes to GET THE KID OUT! Because around month 6, you start to freak out about labor. But by month 7 1/2 you're ready for whatever has to happen to have your body all to yourself again. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahhaaaa. Sorry, but that's funny. I remember after both of my kids being born, but especially Carter, SIGHING with relief that first night home because I was finally able to sleep on my stomach again. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pillow forts. It is the only way to get even a little comfort for sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh Katie that sucks. I never liked being pregnant and always got annoyed by people who loved it so much. I am sorry it is so hot....you should make Chad fan you. I love you and I am so excited for you to have a baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i definitely think the end of pregnancy has to be miserable so you are willing to go through labor and delivery. :) you are almost there! good luck. i can't wait to see the little one!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I love to respond to them personally! Is your email activated in your Blogger Profile? This is the way I respond to readers. You can create a blogger profile, even if you're not a blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...